Charlotte Mason's Motto (with free printable)

Last September, at the beginning of the school year, Teo (and I) started reciting Charlotte Mason's Motto. Since Teo was not reading yet, I recited and he repeated. I started with the 'I am' on the first week and at the end of that week, he has memorized it. I was surprised that he had it memorized so quickly. I did not plan on making him memorize and was happy to recite it with him.

        


The second week, we recited the first and the second motto, with Teo reciting the first motto on his own and repeating after me for the second. motto. By the end of the week, he has memorized the second motto too. We have done the same for the third and fourth mottos but it took a longer while as the last two ones were a bit longer.

        

It took another whole month before Teo could recite all four on his own without prompting. He would also sometimes ask me the meaning of unfamiliar words like 'ought' and 'authority' and I would ask him if he could use it in another sentence then we can figure the word out together. 

I made these individual posters with a plan to frame each one and hang somewhere in our home. It is in PDF format so the size can easily be adjusted. I ended up printing all four of them in one page and sticking them below the CM List of Habits.


I placed them on Teo's eye-level and he stands in front of the mini posters to recite the motto. After several month, we still do the same routine and because he has started to read CVC and a little sight words, he tells me he can 'recognize' the words on the poster and can 'guess' the words. I tell him that he knows how to read now, but I'm not sure he believes me.

If you are just starting to do CM with your child/ren, and would like to begin with her motto, Download and print a copy for yourself. Its free. 

Download the Charlotte Mason Motto printable here.

Sharing is caring. Please share this blog post if you wish to share the free PDF download with others.


Comments

Popular Posts