Homeschool Catechism Lesson: Jesus Feeds 5000


 

 Level : K-2

Materials:

Children's Bible with the story of Jesus Feeds 5000 or
A Regular Bible, make sure it has Nihil Obstat

or click here for a Read-Aloud of this Story From The Jesus Storybook Bible

Bible journal or a sheet of paper for drawing

Drawing and coloring materials

Jesus Feeds 5000 template


Last Lent 2017, when our son was just 2 years old. I made a weekly Lenten activity plan  We would read the Sunday Gospel before mass and do a couple of activities during the week. He loved counting and putting things in containers that time and we not only did the activity one but twice. one with glue on a paper plate and one without glue using a paper bag. He peeled the glued loaves and fish off the paper plate so I thought of using a brown paper bag. He enjoyed putting the loaves and fish in the bag and taking them out again. Then saying "Heeew Jeeeshooo!"

We have done 2 versions of this Gospel story on our Bible Journals. The latest 'reading' was done by our son, now 6yo and can read fluently already. After he read, he automatically narrated back and drew on his journal. We still do narration/dictation.

For my online Catechism lesson, I let the children listen to the read aloud on my YouTube channel. Afterwards, we talked about the story We then had a music and movement break and danced to Jesus Feeds 5000 by Two by 2

After reading,  we made our 5 loaves and 2 fish craft. You can find the template here A few children have already colored some of the loaves and fish so they began to cut. It was a challenge for me to really observe and assess the children on their cutting skills because they were on screen. I am truly grateful for the parents and guardians, and gandmas too! who dedicate their time to help facilitate the lesson. 




After every story and activity in Catechism class, just like what my son and I do in our homeschool Religious Ed. lessons, we talk about Jesus' message and how we can apply the Good News to our lives. 


Before we end our class, I always tell the children that Jesus loves them. We sing about it too. The children's happy faces - and an occasional "I love you Teacher Weena." - during class, is affirmation for me that Jesus loves me. 

God bless you.












Read A Loud Stories




Comments

Popular Posts